Greetings Freedom Fighters:
We are proud to announce that the New Jersey State Conference of the NAACP is hosting its 2017 Annual State Convention Friday, October 6th through October 8th. The event will be held at the Hilton Parsippany, One Hilton Court, Parsippany, NJ. Our theme this year is “Relating to the Past, Understanding the Present, Preparing for the Future”.
We have consolidated the delegate credential forms, registration packages, and have eliminated other information that can be retrieved on our website. For your convenience, I’ve listed a few highlights and items of importance:
- Delegate Credentials: Please review the credential form carefully.
- Registration: Please note that our forms are designed for individual registrations.
- Convention Attendance: We encourage Units to register their full adult and youth voting delegation for the entire four-day convention. Early registration must be submitted by August 31, 2017.
- Award Information: We have various awards for which members can submit nominations. Unit Awards consist of the President’s Award, Rosa Parks Secretary Award, Unit Award, and three Membership Laydown Awards. All entries must be submitted by Tuesday, September 5, 2017. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Friday, October 6th: Following our opening session, at 3:00PM the evening will conclude with our Gala Awards Dinner where we will celebrate and acknowledge our outstanding youth throughout the state. The keynote speaker will be the dynamic Angela Rye. The house band for the weekend will be Bryan Parr and the Blind Date Band.
- Saturday, October 7th: We will start the day with our Membership Brunch, “Stoney the Road We Trod, Living in Today’s America”. The keynote address will be given by Bobby Seale. We will also award scholarships to six outstanding students. Music will be provided by award winning ACTSO students. Saturday evening will offer you an opportunity to mix and mingle with legislative representatives and ask the questions you would like answered at the Legislative Reception.
- Sunday, October 8th: Join us for our soul stirring worship service with the message delivered by Author, Speaker and Youth Advocate, Rev. Khristi Adams. The conference will culminate with our closing plenary session.
We ask that each Unit provide a minimum of one member to participate on the convention planning committee to help with the various activities we have planned for the weekend.
We’re extremely excited about this convention, and we look forward to seeing you in October!
Richard T. Smith
Richard T. Smith, President